- 1998 (4) (entfernen)
- A Note on Nielsen Reduction and Coset Enumeration (1998)
- Groups can be studied using methods from different fields such as combinatorial group theory or string rewriting. Recently techniques from Gröbner basis theory for free monoid rings (non-commutative polynomial rings) respectively free group rings have been added to the set of methods due to the fact that monoid and group presentations (in terms of string rewriting systems) can be linked to special polynomials called binomials. In the same mood, the aim of this paper is to discuss the relation between Nielsen reduced sets of generators and the Todd-Coxeter coset enumeration procedure on the one side and the Gröbner basis theory for free group rings on the other. While it is well-known that there is a strong relationship between Buchberger's algorithm and the Knuth-Bendix completion procedure, and there are interpretations of the Todd-Coxeter coset enumeration procedure using the Knuth-Bendix procedure for special cases, our aim is to show how a verbatim interpretation of the Todd-Coxeter procedure can be obtained by linking recent Gröbner techniques like prefix Gröbner bases and the FGLM algorithm as a tool to study the duality of ideals. As a side product our procedure computes Nielsen reduced generating sets for subgroups in finitely generated free groups.
- MRC - A System for Computing Gröbner Bases in Monoid and Group Rings (1998)
- Gröbner bases and Buchberger's algorithm have been generalized to monoid and group rings. In this paper we summarize procedures from this field and present a description of their implementation in the system Mrc V 1.0.
- Observations on coset enumeration (1998)
- Todd and Coxeter's method for enumerating cosets of finitely generated subgroups in finitely presented groups (abbreviated by Tc here) is one famous method from combinatorial group theory for studying the subgroup problem. Since prefix string rewriting is also an appropriate method to study this problem, prefix string rewriting methods have been compared to Tc. We recall and compare two of them briefly, one by Kuhn and Madlener  and one by Sims . A new approach using prefix string rewriting in free groups is derived from the algebraic method presented by Reinert, Mora and Madlener in  which directly emulates Tc. It is extended to free monoids and an algebraic characterization for the "cosets" enumerated in this setting is provided.
- MrcLambda - A System for Computing Gröbner Bases in Monoid and Group Rings (1998)
- Gröbner bases and Buchberger's algorithm have been generalized to monoid and group rings. This paper presents a discription of an implementation of prefix Gröbner basis procedures in this setting.