- Preprint (24) (entfernen)
- goal-driven similarity assessment (1999)
- While most approaches to similarity assessment are oblivious of knowledge and goals, there is ample evidence that these elements of problem solving play an important role in similarity judgements. This paper is concerned with an approach for integrating assessment of similarity into a framework of problem solving that embodies central notions of problem solving like goals, knowledge and learning.
- Similarity, uncertainty and case-based reasoning in PATDEX (1999)
- Patdex is an expert system which carries out case-based reasoning for the fault diagnosis of complex machines. It is integrated in the Moltke workbench for technical diagnosis, which was developed at the university of Kaiserslautern over the past years, Moltke contains other parts as well, in particular a model-based approach; in Patdex where essentially the heuristic features are located. The use of cases also plays an important role for knowledge acquisition. In this paper we describe Patdex from a principal point of view and embed its main concepts into a theoretical framework.
- Case-based knowledge acquisition, learning and problem solving for diagnostic real world tasks (1999)
- Within this paper we focus on both the solution of real, complex problems using expert system technology and the acquisition of the necessary knowledge from a case-based reasoning point of view. The development of systems which can be applied to real world problems has to meet certain requirements. E.g., all available information sources have to be identified and utilized. Normally, this involves different types of knowledge for which several knowledge representation schemes are needed, because no scheme is equally natural for all sources. Facing empirical knowledge it is important to complement the use of manually compiled, statistic and otherwise induced knowledge by the exploitation of the intuitive understandability of case-based mechanisms. Thus, an integration of case-based and alternative knowledge acquisition and problem solving mechanisms is necessary. For this, the basis is to define the "role" which case-based inference can "play" within a knowledge acquisition workbench. We will discuss a concrete casebased architecture, which has been applied to technical diagnosis problems, and its integration into a knowledge acquisition workbench which includes compiled knowledge and explicit deep models, additionally.
- PATDEX/2 - ein fallbasiertes System zur Diagnose (1999)
- Im Bereich der Expertensysteme ist das Problemlösen auf der Basis von bekannten Fallbeispielen ein derzeit sehr aktuelles Thema. Auch für Diagnoseaufgaben gewinnt der fallbasierte Ansatz immer mehr an Bedeutung. In diesem Papier soll der im Rahmen des Moltke -Projektes1 an der Universität Kaiserslautern entwickelte fallbasierte Problemlöser Patdex/22 vorgestellt werden. Ein erster Prototyp, Patdex/1, wurde bereits 1988 entwickelt.