Year of publication
- 2003 (3) (remove)
- Multigrid – adaptive local refinement solver for incompressible flows (2003)
- A non-linear multigrid solver for incompressible Navier-Stokes equations, exploiting finite volume discretization of the equations, is extended by adaptive local refinement. The multigrid is the outer iterative cycle, while the SIMPLE algorithm is used as a smoothing procedure. Error indicators are used to define the refinement subdomain. A special implementation approach is used, which allows to perform unstructured local refinement in conjunction with the finite volume discretization. The multigrid - adaptive local refinement algorithm is tested on 2D Poisson equation and further is applied to a lid-driven flows in a cavity (2D and 3D case), comparing the results with bench-mark data. The software design principles of the solver are also discussed.
- On Numerical Simulation of Flow Through Oil Filters (2003)
- This paper concerns numerical simulation of flow through oil filters. Oil filters consist of filter housing (filter box), and a porous filtering medium, which completely separates the inlet from the outlet. We discuss mathematical models, describing coupled flows in the pure liquid subregions and in the porous filter media, as well as interface conditions between them. Further, we reformulate the problem in fictitious regions method manner, and discuss peculiarities of the numerical algorithm in solving the coupled system. Next, we show numerical results, validating the model and the algorithm. Finally, we present results from simulation of 3-D oil flow through a real car filter.
- On a Multigrid Adaptive Refinement Solver for Saturated Non-Newtonian Flow in Porous Media (2003)
- On a Multigrid Adaptive Refinement Solver for Saturated Non-Newtonian Flow in Porous Media A multigrid adaptive refinement algorithm for non-Newtonian flow in porous media is presented. The saturated flow of a non-Newtonian fluid is described by the continuity equation and the generalized Darcy law. The resulting second order nonlinear elliptic equation is discretized by a finite volume method on a cell-centered grid. A nonlinear full-multigrid, full-approximation-storage algorithm is implemented. As a smoother, a single grid solver based on Picard linearization and Gauss-Seidel relaxation is used. Further, a local refinement multigrid algorithm on a composite grid is developed. A residual based error indicator is used in the adaptive refinement criterion. A special implementation approach is used, which allows us to perform unstructured local refinement in conjunction with the finite volume discretization. Several results from numerical experiments are presented in order to examine the performance of the solver.