- English (3) (remove)
- non-Newtonian flow in porous media (3) (remove)
- On a Multigrid Adaptive Refinement Solver for Saturated Non-Newtonian Flow in Porous Media (2003)
- On a Multigrid Adaptive Refinement Solver for Saturated Non-Newtonian Flow in Porous Media A multigrid adaptive refinement algorithm for non-Newtonian flow in porous media is presented. The saturated flow of a non-Newtonian fluid is described by the continuity equation and the generalized Darcy law. The resulting second order nonlinear elliptic equation is discretized by a finite volume method on a cell-centered grid. A nonlinear full-multigrid, full-approximation-storage algorithm is implemented. As a smoother, a single grid solver based on Picard linearization and Gauss-Seidel relaxation is used. Further, a local refinement multigrid algorithm on a composite grid is developed. A residual based error indicator is used in the adaptive refinement criterion. A special implementation approach is used, which allows us to perform unstructured local refinement in conjunction with the finite volume discretization. Several results from numerical experiments are presented in order to examine the performance of the solver.
- On Modelling and Simulation of Different Regimes for Liquid Polymer Moulding (2004)
- In this paper we consider numerical algorithms for solving a system of nonlinear PDEs arising in modeling of liquid polymer injection. We investigate the particular case when a porous preform is located within the mould, so that the liquid polymer flows through a porous medium during the filling stage. The nonlinearity of the governing system of PDEs is due to the non-Newtonian behavior of the polymer, as well as due to the moving free boundary. The latter is related to the penetration front and a Stefan type problem is formulated to account for it. A finite-volume method is used to approximate the given differential problem. Results of numerical experiments are presented. We also solve an inverse problem and present algorithms for the determination of the absolute preform permeability coefficient in the case when the velocity of the penetration front is known from measurements. In both cases (direct and inverse problems) we emphasize on the specifics related to the non-Newtonian behavior of the polymer. For completeness, we discuss also the Newtonian case. Results of some experimental measurements are presented and discussed.
- On Efficent Simulation of Non-Newtonian Flow in Saturated Porous Media with a Multigrid Adaptive Refinement Solver (2005)
- Flow of non-Newtonian fluid in saturated porous media can be described by the continuity equation and the generalized Darcy law. Efficient solution of the resulting second order nonlinear elliptic equation is discussed here. The equation is discretized by a finite volume method on a cell-centered grid. Local adaptive refinement of the grid is introduced in order to reduce the number of unknowns. A special implementation approach is used, which allows us to perform unstructured local refinement in conjunction with the finite volume discretization. Two residual based error indicators are exploited in the adaptive refinement criterion. Second order accurate discretization of the fluxes on the interfaces between refined and non-refined subdomains, as well as on the boundaries with Dirichlet boundary condition, are presented here, as an essential part of the accurate and efficient algorithm. A nonlinear full approximation storage multigrid algorithm is developed especially for the above described composite (coarse plus locally refined) grid approach. In particular, second order approximation of the fluxes around interfaces is a result of a quadratic approximation of slave nodes in the multigrid - adaptive refinement (MG-AR) algorithm. Results from numerical solution of various academic and practice-induced problems are presented and the performance of the solver is discussed.