- Report (5) (remove)
- English (5) (remove)
- Transit Dependent Evacuation Planning for Kathmandu Valley: A Case Study (2014)
- Due to the increasing number of natural or man-made disasters, the application of operations research methods in evacuation planning has seen a rising interest in the research community. From the beginning, evacuation planning has been highly focused on car-based evacuation. Recently, also the evacuation of transit depended evacuees with the help of buses has been considered. In this case study, we apply two such models and solution algorithms to evacuate a core part of the metropolitan capital city Kathmandu of Nepal as a hypothetical endangered region, where a large part of population is transit dependent. We discuss the computational results for evacuation time under a broad range of possible scenarios, and derive planning suggestions for practitioners.
- The Multi Terminal q-FlowLoc Problem: A Heuristic (2011)
- In this paper the multi terminal q-FlowLoc problem (q-MT-FlowLoc) is introduced. FlowLoc problems combine two well-known modeling tools: (dynamic) network flows and locational analysis. Since the q-MT-FlowLoc problem is NP-hard we give a mixed integer programming formulation and propose a heuristic which obtains a feasible solution by calculating a maximum flow in a special graph H. If this flow is also a minimum cost flow, various versions of the heuristic can be obtained by the use of different cost functions. The quality of this solutions is compared.
- Linear Optimization in School Mathematics (2003)
- Linear Optimization is an important area from applied mathematics. A lot of practical problems can be modelled and solved with this technique. This publication shall help to introduce this topic to pupils. The process of modelling, the reduction of problems to their significant attributes shall be described. The linear programms will be solved by using the simplex method. Many examples illustrate the topic.
- Bills of material and linear algebra (2003)
- This publication tries to develop mathematical subjects for school from realistic problems. The center of this report are business planning and decision problems which occur in almost all companies. The main topics are: Calculation of raw material demand for given orders, consumption of existing stock and the lot sizing.
- Locational planning in the Mathematics Curriculum of High Schools (2002)
- Dealing with problems from locational planning in schools can enrich the mathematical education. In this report we describe planar locational problems which can be used in mathematical lessons. The problems production of a semiconductor plate, design of a fire brigade building and the warehouse problem are from real-world. The problems are worked out detailed so that the usage for school lessons is possible.