Year of publication
- Von der neuen Rolle der Mathematik; Vom Nutzen der Mathematik; Mathematik und Computersimulation: Modelle, Algorithmen, Bilder (1994)
- Transition from Kinetic Theory to Macroscopic Fluid Equations: A Problem fo Domain Decomposition and a Source for New Algorithms (1999)
- In the paper we discuss the transition from kinetic theory to macroscopic fluid equations, where the macroscopic equations are defined as aymptotic limits of a kinetic equation. This relation can be used to derive computationally efficient domain decomposition schemes for the simulaion of rarefied gas flows close to the continuum limit. Moreover, we present some basic ideas for the derivation of kinetic induced numerical schemes for macroscopic equations, namely kinetic schemes for general conservation laws as well as Lattice-Boltzmann methods for the incompressible Navier-Stokes equations.
- Several Computer Studies on Boltzmann Flows in Connection with Space Flight Problems (1990)
- This report contains the following three papers about computations of rarefied gas flows:; ; a) Rarefied gas flow around a disc with different angles of attack, published in the proceedings of the 17th RGD Symposium, Aachen, 1990.; ; b) Hypersonic flow calculations around a 3D-deltawing at low Knudsen numbers, published in the proceedings of the 17th RGD Symposium,; Aachen, 1990.; ; c) Rarefied gas flow around a 3D-deltawing, published in the proceedings of the Workshop on Hypersonic Flows for Reentry Problems,; Part 1, Antibes, France, January 22-25, 1990.; ; All computations are part of the HERMES Research and Development Program.
- Pattern Recognition Using Measure Space Metrics (1987)
- Patterns are considered as normalized measures and distances between them are defined as distances of the corresponding measures using metrics in measure spaces. This idea can be applied for pattern recognition if smeared patterns have to be compared with given ideal patterns. Different metrics are sensitive to different characteristics of the patterns - this is demonstrated in discussing examples. Particular attention is paid to a problem of Quality Control for an artificial fabric, where the distance to uniformity is defined and evaluated; the results are now used in industry.
- Particle Methods: Theory and Applications (1995)
- In the present paper a review on particle methods and their applications to evolution equations is given. In particular, particle methods for Euler- and Boltzmann equations are considered.
- Particle Methods (1994)
- Modelling and Numerical Simulation of Collisions (1993)
- In these lectures we will mainly treat a billard game. Our particles will be hard spheres. Not always: We will also touch cases, where particles have interior energies due to rotation or vibration, which they exchange in a collision, and we will talk about chemical reactions happening during a collision. But many essential aspects occur already in the billard case which will be therefore paradigmatic. I do not know enough about semiconductors to handle collisions there - the Boltzmann case is certainly different but may give some idea even for the other cases.
- Mathematische Weiterbildung (1984)
- Ziel des Modellversuchs war es, zu untersuchen, welche Ergebnisse der mathematischen Forschung an Universitäten für den Praktiker besser zugänglich gemacht werden sollten und wie dies geschehen kann. Als Zielgruppen einer solchen Bildungsaufgabe waren insbesondere Ingenieure in den Forschungs- und Entwicklungsabteilungen der Industrie und Studenten der Mathematik und Technik (im Sinne einer mehr praxisbezogenen Ausbildung) vorgesehen; in organisatorischer Hinsicht war an ein Fernstudium gedacht.