- 1998 (5) (entfernen)
- Periodic Instantons and Quantum-Classical Transitions in Spin Systems (1998)
- The tunneling splitting of the energy levels of a ferromagnetic particle in the presence of an applied magnetic field - previously derived only for the ground state with the path integral method - is obtained in a simple way from Schr"odinger theory. The origin of the factors entering the result is clearly understood, in particular the effect of the asymmetry of the barriers of the potential. The method should appeal particularly to experimentalists searching for evidence of macroscopic spin tunneling.
- Quantum Tunneling and Phase Transitions in Spin Systems with an Applied Magnetic Field (1998)
- Transitions from classical to quantum behaviour in a spin system with two degenerate ground states separated by twin energy barriers which are asymmetric due to an applied magnetic field are investigated. It is shown that these transitions can be interpreted as first- or second-order phase transitions depending on the anisotropy and magnetic parameters defining the system in an effective Lagrangian description.
- Correspondence, Poincar'e Vacuum Stateand Greybody Factors in BTZ Black Holes (1998)
- The greybody factors in BTZ black holes are evaluated from 2D CFT in the spirit of AdS3/CFT correspondence. The initial state of black holes in the usual calculation of greybody factors by effective CFT is described as Poincar'e vacuum state in 2D CFT. The normalization factor which cannot be fixed in the effective CFT without appealing to string theory is shown to be determined by the normalized bulk-to-boundary Green function. The relation among the greybody factors in different dimensional black holes is exhibited. Two kinds of (h; _h) = (1; 1) operators which couple with the boundary value of massless scalar field are discussed.
- Light-Cone Formulation of Super D2-Brane (1998)
- The light-cone Hamiltonian approach is applied to the super D2- brane, and the equivalent area-preserving and U(1) gauge-invariant effective Lagrangian, which is quadratic in the U(1) gauge field, is derived. The latter is recognised to be that of the three- dimensional U(1) gauge theory, interacting with matter supermultiplets, in a special external induced supergravity metric and the gravitino field, depending on matter fields. The duality between this theory and 11d supermembrane theory is demonstrated in the light-cone gauge.
- Dilute Instanton Gas of an O(3)Skyrme Model (1998)
- The pure-Skyrme limit of a scale-breaking Skyrmed O(3) sigma model in 1+1 dimensions is employed to study the effect of the Skyrme term on the semiclassical analysis of a field theory with instantons. The instantons of this model are self-dual and can be evaluated explicitly. They are also localised to an absolute scale, and their fluctuation action can be reduced to a scalar subsystem. This permits the explicit calculation of the fluctuation determinant and the shift in vacuum energy due to instantons. The model also illustrates the semiclassical quantisation of a Skyrmed field theory.