- Article (6) (remove)
- A quantum cable car for Wannier-Stark ladders (2000)
- The paper studies the dynamics of transitions between the levels of a Wannier-Stark ladder induced by a resonant periodic driving. The analysis of the problem is done in terms of resonance quasienergy states, which take into account the metastable character of the Wannier-Stark states. It is shown that the periodic driving creates from a localized Wannier-Stark state an extended Bloch-like state with a spatial length varying in time as ~ t^1/2. Such a state can find applications in the field of atomic optics because it generates a coherent pulsed atomic beam.
- A truncated shift - operator technique for the calculation of resonances in Stark systems (1999)
- A novel method is presented which allows a fast computation of complex energy resonance states in Stark systems, i.e. systems in a homogeneous field. The technique is based on the truncation of a shift-operator in momentum space. Numerical results for space periodic and non-periodic systems illustrate the extreme simplicity of the method.
- Bloch particle in presence of dc and ac fields (1999)
- The paper studies metastable states of a Bloch electron in the presence of external ac and dc fields. Provided resonance condition between period of the driving frequency and the Bloch period, the complex quasienergies are numerically calculated for two qualitatively different regimes (quasiregular and chaotic) of the system dynamics. For the chaotic regime an effect of quantum stabilization, which suppresses the classical decay mechanism, is found. This effect is demonstrated to be a kind of quantum interference phenomenon sensitive to the resonance condition.
- Chaotic Wannier-Bloch resonance states (1998)
- The Wannier-Bloch resonance states are metastable states of a quantum particle in a space-periodic potential plus a homogeneous field. Here we analyze the states of quantum particle in space- and time-periodic potential. In this case the dynamics of the classical counterpart of the quantum system is either quasiregular or chaotic depending on the driving frequency. It is shown that both the quasiregular and the chaotic motion can also support quantum resonances. The relevance of the obtained result to the problem a of crystal electron under simultaneous influence of d.c. and a.c. electric fields is briefly discussed. PACS: 73.20Dx, 73.40Gk, 05.45.+b
- Lifetime statistics for a Bloch particle in ac and dc fields (1998)
- We study the statistics of the Wigner delay time and resonance width for a Bloch particle in ac and dc fields in the regime of quantum chaos. It is shown that after appropriate rescaling the distributions of these quantities have universal character predicted by the random matrix theory of chaotic scattering.
- Wannier-Stark states of a quantum particle in 2D lattices (2000)
- A simple method of calculating the Wannier-Stark resonances in 2D lattices is suggested. Using this method we calculate the complex Wannier-Stark spectrum for a non-separable 2D potential realized in optical lattices and analyze its general structure. The dependence of the lifetime of Wannier-Stark states on the direction of the static field (relative to the crystallographic axis of the lattice) is briefly discussed.